Epiphyllum Society of America
Executive Board Conference Call Meeting Minutes
Sunday August 28, 2022 @ 6:00 pm PT
Call to Order: :
6:06 PM PST by President Jeff Bates
Attendees: Jeff Bates, Gumbii Garcia, Geneva Bridges, Ken Hanke, Chris Welcher, Eddie Huey, Janet Lai, Jim Nones, Michal McKee, Kathryn Crawford
- The minutes from the July meeting (attached) were reviewed and approved.
- June minutes need to be provided.
- President (Jeffrey Bates):
- Treasurer (Geneva Bridges):
Bank Balance (combined checking and savings): 64,178.92
Sales taxes for 2nd quarter 2022 have been paid at end of July: $622
Balance sheet through end of July 2022 attached. Profit to date $9.42
Dues for CGCI 2023 have been paid (165.00)
Membership: I have removed dozens and dozens of unpaid members this week. There are many more who joined in the latter part of 2021, and didn't pay for 2022 that I haven't removed yet but plan to do so soon.
Need a volunteer to cross-check the roster with the Facebook page for active members and remove inactive ones from the group.
Currently ESA has 314 active members. 8 are new this month.
McDaniel Insurance has never cashed the check for D&O Insurance and no correspondence or policy have been received from them. Does ESA wish to apply for D&O Insurance for the 2023 year?
Newsletter (Cielo (Sky) Esquival):
Correspondence: (Michal McKee):
- No enquires
- Volunteered to cull out inactive and non paying members from the ESA official facebook group
Events (Jim Nones):
- September: Annual Members Potluck Dinner and Silent Auction with Fred Stegner, Gary Brandfellner, Richard Klug and myself from their premium hybrids.
- October: Eyal Givon, Dragonfruit grower and nursery owner talks about the latest in growing df. He will bring the fruit by the cartons if you wish to buy them. Hopefully dragon fruit to taste.
- Need to fix the air conditioning inside Ayres Hall, or at least find out how to turn it on and keep it on hours before the event.
ESA Registration Committee (Eddie Huey/Beth Jackson/Kat Crawford):
- Update on 2021 addendum
- Discussion with registration committee on best path moving forward.
- Beth is done with Frank’s Registrations
- Eddie will reach out to Beth for the material
- If no response, release the existing draft and append with updates
- Possible meeting Sunday 11th, 5pm
The Bulletin (Kat Crawford):
- Michal McKee volunteered to help Kat Crawford to get content for the Bulletin
Website 2.0 (Eddie Huey)
- All site plugins and core updated in Mar
- Files from “/oldsite” in our hands
- Not going to be included will be the new directory for launch.
- demo site for Board approval before domain name change
Motion made by Jeff Bates, seconded by Janet Lai for the website to be launched and live before the next board meeting.
Pentico (Ken Hanke, Gumbii Garcia, Chris Welcher):
- Cleaning out the west side of the Pentico to make room for what should be the new shade cloth replacement. Watering when we can, it’s been very hot up to the top.
- Hand picking certain plants to cut and have them placed in our yearly potluck/auction
- Mrs. Bridges makes a motion, seconded by Chris Welcher to set Sunday, September 25, 2022 at 6 pm as our special meeting for annual elections for 2023. This meeting will be for current Board members only. The motion was approved by unanimous consent, without objections.
- Storage Locker: report from Mr. Hanke
- Pentico renovations: report from Mr. Welcher
- Annual Show 2023: Annual show and sale 2023. Mrs. Bridges has spoken with South Coast Botanic Gardens, Descanso Gardens, and Huntington Library. None are available. Sherman Library and Botanic Gardens requested more information which was sent and may possibly consider us for a weekend in April or May. Would like suggestions for other possible venues.
- No new business
The next board meeting will be held Sunday, September 25, 2022.
Upon a motion made by Janet, seconded by Jeff, the meeting was adjourned at 8:43 PM PST
ESA Recording Secretary
September 25, 2022
Epiphyllum Society of America
Executive Board Conference Call Meeting MINUTES
Sunday July 31, 2022 @ 6:00 pm PT
Attendees: Jeff Bates, Geneva Bridges, Ken Hanke, Jim Nones, Chris Welcher.
Guests of the Board present: Kathryn Crawford, Charleen Rice
The meeting was called to order at 6:06 pm PDST by President Jeff Bates. Secretary Gumbii Garcia was unable to attend. Geneva Bridges volunteered to serve as Recording Secretary for the meeting and was so appointed by the Board.
MINUTES from the June 2022 Board meeting were not available.
President (Jeffrey Bates):
Treasurer (Geneva Bridges):
- Fern Society Show/Sale, June 11
Cash=830 Credit=875.27 Total gross=1705.27
Cash=170 Credit=22.05 Total gross=192.05
Total gross sales for event=1897.32
Sales tax Arcadia 10.25%=176.39
fee for LAAS=205.85
food for volunteers=69.42
Net profit for event=1245.85
2022 Annual show/sale
- arboretum fee=762.10
- sales tax 10.25%=511.47
- square fees=76.35
- Volunteer Thank you Starbucks=207.40
- Net profit from annual show=$2627.04
ESA’s bank balance is $73,285.54
- I have invoices from Ken outstanding:
- $4704.00 for storage locker from 2020, 2021 and 2022
- $812.29 miscellaneous expenses also dating back to 2020.
- Total of $5516.29 expenses outstanding
We have 7 new members this month who joined via our website link
We have 365 members. Only 276 are active. I am in the process of removing inactives ftom the roster.
Geneva Bridges made a motion that all receipts for reimbursement must be mailed to the Treasurer within 90 days of incurring the expense. Seconded by Chris Welcher. The motion was approved unanimously.
ANNUAL SHOW 2023
Geneva will follow up with South Coast Botanic Gardens to see if we can hold our show there in 2023. Will also follow up with the Huntington. Descanso Gardens cannot accommodate us. Looking for more suggestions for a venue.
- Newsletter: (Cielo (Sky) Esquival) No report. July newsletter with August general meeting invitation has been emailed to the membership.
- Correspondence: (Michal McKee): no report
Programs (Jim Nones):
- Terrariums and Begonias (August) presented by Al Palacios
- Annual potluck dinner and Silent auction (September)
- Dragonfruit (October)
- Jim reports that he will setup a display for ESA at the Inter City Cactus and Succulent Society show next week at the LA Arboretum.
ESA Registration Committee (Eddie Huey/Beth Jackson/Kat Crawford):
- Kat reports that a committee meeting will occur in early August 2022 to address the completion of the 2021 addendum to the Registry.
The Bulletin ( Kat Crawford):
- Kat reports that she plans to get Bulletin out soon using some articles from years gone by that haven’t been seen in quite some time. Char Rice volunteered to assist with layout of Bulletin as she has done in the past. Jeff will arrange for a committee meeting as soon as possible.
Pentico (Gumbii Garcia, Ken Hanke, Chris Welcher):
- See detailed plan below under New Business for extensive renovations as submitted by Chris Welcher
- Epicon. A MOTION was made by Chris Welcher, seconded by Jim Nones, that ESA will not host Epicon in 2023 and will defer to SDES should they wish to host the event. The motion was approved unanimously.
- Annual show and sale 2023. Need a show chairman. VENUE for 2023 urgently needs to be addressed. Geneva will follow up with Stephanie Yinger at South Coast Botanic Gardens to see if the date can be arranged.
- ESA storage locker in Arcadia: inventory of contents to be completed asap to determine need to continue with this expenditure. Ken will replace lock before the next meeting and if unable to store contents elsewhere will need to transfer ownership of storage locker from Ken to the ESA.
- Last week Chris Welcher sent Board menbers his detailed plans for renovations to the Pentico. See plan below and further details appended to these minutes.
- A MOTION was made by Geneva Bridges, seconded by Jeff Bates to approve and fund the plan for Pentico renovations as submitted by Chris Welcher. The motion was approved unanimously. See details below and appended to the minutes.
- 1. Clean in & around shade house (Removal of all non-essential items)
- 2. Elimination of outside shade structures
- 3. Replace shade netting
- 4. Complete redesign of interior
- 5. Mix new soil
- 6. Purchase Nutricote slow-release fertilizer (6 month)
- 7. Order pots (Must maintain consistent pot size throughout collection)
- 8. Re-pot all plants
- 9. Set uniform inventory system
- 10. Take inventory
- 11. Set uniform color code system for plant ID & bloom verification
- 12. Set uniform guidelines for care of plants
- 13. Employ signage for upkeep and maintenance tracking purposes
- 14. Reduce overall plant count
- 14a. Remove 'NOIDS' & unhealthy plants
- 14b. Combine multiple pots of same variety into one
- 14c. Remove unneeded plant varieties
- 14d. Reduce Rhipsalis plants to only rare & hard to find varieties
- 15. Design and install watering system
- 16. Establish consistent work parties for upkeep and care of plants
- 17. Establish purpose of collection & set guidelines for maintaining that purpose
- 18. Maintain a consistent plant rotation for Arboretum display area
- 19. Create signage for display area (For informative & advertising purposes)
- 20. Collaborate with Arboretum on new displays
BOARD NOMINATIONS for 2023
- A special meeting shall be called for the purpose of Board and committee positions for the 2023 term. Further discussion and setting of date tabled until the August scheduled Board meeting.
The next board meeting will be held Sunday, August 28, 2022.
Upon a motion made by Geneva Bridges, seconded by Ken Hanke, the meeting was adjourned at 8:05 PM PDST.
Acting ESA Recording Secretary
Approved: August 28, 2022