Board Meeting Minutes May 2015
Epiphyllum Society of America
Executive Board Meeting Minutes
Los Angeles County Arboretum, Oak Room
Tuesday, May 26, 2015 @ 7:30 pm
PRESENT: Keith Ballard, Ed Beardsley, Marrie Caldiero, Geneva Coats, Ken Hanke, Robert Kuettle, Jim Nones, Paul Richter, Heather Sabin.
ABSENT: Mary Beardsley, Dick Kohlschreiber, Maria Schmidt
The meeting was called to order at 7:40 pm by Mr. Kuettle. Mrs. Coats was appointed Acting Recording Secretary. Upon a motion made by Mr. Ballard, seconded by Mr. Richter, the minutes of the April 2015 meeting were approved as amended.
President's Report - Robert Kuettle
Our show was successful, the Spring Bulletins are going out in the mail tomorrow.
Recording Secretary's Report – Mary Beardsley
Corresponding Secretary's Report - Maria Schmidt
Membership/Treasurer's report - Geneva Coats
Balance from April meeting: $40,109.81
Current balance: $51,041.84
Show income was approx. $6300
Will need to pay arboretum 15% or about $900 (haven't paid yet)
Have five new members, and all have been added to roster and sent a welcome letter.
Postal/EBulletin Winter and Spring 2015, pdfs in both low-res and high-res made available for the website. As soon as uploaded will send out link for members to access. Spring Bulletin going out to postal members tomorrow.
Winter and Spring Bulletins will be uploaded this week. 2015 Roster to go up on website, file will be uploaded by Mr. Kuettle.
75th anniversary year-long celebration
December 5 luncheon date has been reserved with Monrovian Restaurant by Mr. Nones. Program in progress.
Racks and aisle concerns to be discussed by Pentico committee.
New Board Member applicant
A motion was made by Mrs. Caldiero, seconded by Mr. Ballard, that Heather Sabin be added to the ESA Executive Board. The motion carried by unanimous vote.
Galen Pittman award ideas
- special annual hybridizer award
- award associated with Epicon
- Best Flower of annual show award
- Best registration of the year
- perpetual trophy vs. memorial
- annual cash show award
for further discussion on the Board email list. Mr. Kuettle will also discuss with the Pittman family.
Headset Mike for Speakers
Mr. Ballard will research and obtain pricing estimates.
Laptop and Database Program
Mr. Kuettle will research and obtain pricing estimates.
Programs for 2015
June meeting....slideshow featuring George French. Annual Show Awards presentation
September meeting – auction and hybridizer showcase
Show items for 2016
- Add to show rules: Entry card must be completely filled out to receive points. Delete the address section and use only names
- Trophies......Pat Ballard plates
- Need to purchase 6X12 Tablecloths, paint display boards and posts.
- Posters for show depending on theme
- Program-includes show rules, list of featured hybridizer's creations, application to join the ESA
- Replace the information desk with Court of Honor
- Consider Fiberglass or wire show grids? (lighter)
- Re-evaluate the feasability of the over 12” award, smallest in show award. Have already eliminated Heritage award due to Heritage having its own class, smalls also have their own class. No entries in 2014 or 2015 were over 12”, may consider changing to best XL or eliminating.
Considering new logo. Please bring ideas to the next meeting.
Volunteer Appreciation Day
Mrs. Caldiero is looking at options including tour of Pasadena's Gamble House, picnic/box lunch, to be held either October 17 or October 24, 2015
ICRA Report for ISHS
Being prepared by Mr. Kohlschreiber. Mrs. Coats will mail copies of latest Register and Addendum to Dr Leslie at the ISHS this week.
The next board meeting will be held Tuesday June 30, 2015 @ 7:30 pm in the Los Angeles Arboretum OAK ROOM.
Items to add to June Agenda
Registration Form Revision
Welcome packet for new members
Upon a motion made by Mr. Richter, seconded by Mr. Ballard, the meeting was adjourned at 9:19 pm.
Acting ESA Recording Secretary
Approved (pending vote of Executive Board) June 30, 2015